Thursday, February 3

The Producer

Tonight a producer came down from NYC to see our little show. Everyone was excited and the house was papered. (That means a lot of free tickets were given out)



It was a great show. The actors were a little nervous; our fair Knight described his horse as "manly" instead of big and white. Our King mentioned faculties. Our Queen dropped her apple... I could go on, but you get the idea. Ahhhh, the magic of live theatre.



Now the above things didn't detract from the show. Only the actors and my little band on headset really knew these things happened. In fact, this show went very well. I know this because from my seat in the Booth, I can see about 1/4 of the audience.



Allow me to introduce you to Pink Sweatsuit Girl. She was in her late teens and her outfit was very pastel.

She was laughing so hard that she was falling over into the next seat and her companion (Friend, Sister, Mother....not quite sure) had to smack her to get her to settle down. PSG waved her arms in the air when she laughed. She opened her mouth wide and guffawed. I loved watching her. She made things fun.



Then suddenly the one liners and puns stopped for a bit in Act 2. ~~This bit is where we have some plot points.~~



I was nervous.



PSG pulled out her phone and read a text message.

The King and Tristan talked about Sir Gawain, The Green Knight.

PSG showed her phone to F,S,M who then pulled out HER phone and text messaged someone.

In the booth I am vituperating....my crew is seething...WE need PSG to laugh and enjoy it.



~~Did I mention that the Producer also had a good view of PSG??~~



Luckily, our not-so-fair knight (Sir Mullet) bites an enchanted apple...causing him to fall in love with Tristan. Mullet leaps into a flabbergasted Tristan's arms....



We have her!



PSG and FSM put away their phones and die laughing. Arms flailing and teeth flashing we reel her back in. She's with us for the duration now. Onstage our King is realizing his little Maid is behind all the mixed up love potions.



On headset, we all giggle and congratulate ourselves.



Soon everyone is bowing and I am a standing ovation of one.

My soundboard operator whispers "Stand UP" but the audience is not having it.

No big "O" for this show and our NYC version of Guffman.

No matter. We loved the show tonight. The crew loves THIS show every night. Even when it's been a long day and everyone is cranky. We love it because its full of fripperies and dragons and words like splentacular. We love it because it is verse but with slang. Iambic pentameter upgraded to Y2K.





God I am such a geek.



No comments: