Monday, May 30

Who works on holidays??????

Happy Memorial Day!


I hope you aren’t at work like I am…. Luckily I am in Stones in his Pockets rehearsal, which is sort of like just hanging out with pals. I mean, the boys (David and Brian) are working hard trying to remember their dialogue and what the hell they are wearing from minute to minute - - and of course Jim, the director is tweaking the blocking as they review. Plus Terry (SM and Evil Boss) is checking to make sure everyone is doing the right thing…well damn…. Mike, the Production Assistant, is making sure the boys SAY the right words (……..say your right words they whispered……..*Labyrinth) so maybe its just that I don’t have to jump up and move the furniture every 10 minutes…..I AM –after all—watching to make sure the boys are wearing the right clothes and moving the furniture to the right places…….so I guess it is work….but you have to remember, Gentle Reader (yes I love Stephen King) that I LOVE MY JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO it is never like work….unless I am whining about having to actually GO into work.

As I am typing, I am realizing how idyllic my job really is. Especially out here, in the desert. Here in Cedar City, UT just about everything is within walking distance. I don’t have access to my old blogs, so I am not sure if I have talked about this before, but if so - - too bad - - here is more info on this wonderful place!

Okay, as a Deck Stage Manager (a.k.a. Assistant Stage Manager) I have to work a lot of hours a week….but seriously….its not like I have to be in an office all day long or anything.

Take today for instance – I came into work at about 11:30a – had lunch and then got to the rehearsal hall around 12:30p. Mike and I set up and we started rehearsal at 1:30p. Right now it is 2:26p and we are on our first 10-minute break. See, the Actor’s Equity Association (union) says we have to take a 5-minute break every 55 minutes OR a 10-minute break every 80 minutes. Did you get that? Yeah - - so we get official breaks at least every hour and a half unless we get a break at the hour.

When we finally get to 5:00p, I will be done with rehearsal. I should get out of this rehearsal hall by 5:20 or so, and then we have to hoof it back to the office so we can put out the rehearsal report. (That document tells everything that happened during the rehearsal) After we proof read it (I generate the report during the rehearsal to save time) I print it and make the appropriate amount of copies, write names and box numbers on them and then take them over to Company Management for them to distribute. So today I should be home by 6:30p at the latest.

Not bad - - not bad at all!!!

Okay so 2 days a week (Monday and Thursday) I have the above schedule. On Wednesday and Saturday I work the same amount of hours but I start at about 5:30p and get done by 11:30p. *sigh* Okay but then the other 2 days (Tuesday and Friday) I have to do BOTH rehearsal blocks so I come in at 11:30a and get done about 11:30p. I get 30 minutes for dinner at 5:15p. Plus I have Production meetings and various and sundry other meetings a couple mornings a week. So I do work about 50 hours a week…but I spend a lot of the time laughing so it doesn’t seem like so much work.

YEA FOR THEATRE!

No comments: