Friday, May 13

The Long Drive Here

Wow okay so it has been forever since I made a personal blog. I have a bunch of stuff to talk about and I don’t think there will be any central theme…so bear with me.

Well the drive was fun and scary all at once. I enjoyed seeing friends along the way. Helen, Justyn and Samantha are adjusting well to Kentucky. They live on top of a hill in a beautiful section of rural KY where there are 50’ drops next to the road and no guardrails.

Kansas is still the same, I always love seeing Aunt Carol and Uncle Wally. Their singing Chihuahuas (Rambo and Sissy Poo) are getting older, but they are just as cute as ever.

Okay now for the scary part.

I left for Colorado at about 5 pm. Around 11 pm I hit Denver and it started snowing. I decided to continue for a while (Colorado is good about clearing roads) but around midnight I got into a really bad snow. The few cars that were on the road were going around 40 MPH and we all had our flashers on. A passenger van in front of me kept sliding onto the shoulder. There was a HUGE wreck near Georgetown, CO and we all had to exit the Interstate and drive through a small town. I took the opportunity to stop for gas and the ladies inside told me that the highway patrol was saying it was time to put on the snow chains. Ahhhh well…being from Florida, I don’t even have snow tires. The ladies told me about a motel about 8 miles up the road. I thanked them and got back in the car.

I carried on for a few miles and suddenly the snow stopped and the roads were clear. I passed to motel and decided to try and make it over the top. About 2 miles past the motel the snow started in again, heavier than ever. I continued on until the next exit and decided it was just too bad to continue. So I had to turn around and go 5 miles back down the mountain. BOY AM I GLAD I DID. The next motel was 12 miles up the mountain and it was right at the Eisenhower tunnel. After I checked in and got in bed, I watched the news for a little while. As I watched they had breaking news saying the tunnel was closed due to snow. I paid about $50 for my room, but people who stopped right at the tunnel had to pay $100 to $150 for their rooms. Jeez!

I got up the next morning and it was blue and clear. I did hit some more snow around the Vail Pass, but it was around 11 am so it wasn’t sticking. I had a pretty nice drive until I got to Utah. Then the rain started and it rained the whole rest of the way…about 5 hours worth. It was even raining in Cedar City! Booo!

But I made it and King Benny was waiting for me with my key (what a nice guy!).

I AM NOT TAKING I-70 ANYMORE!!!!! I can’t take the snow. Waaay too scary! *Sigh* I am pretty sure I said that last year, too. But this time I mean it!!!!!!!!! I don’t mind coming back that way in September. - - but no more driving over the mountains in April.

Oh yeah - - I forgot, I am starting a rumor that I will be working as a PSM next fall instead of being a summer ASM. I figure if I can get the rumor going good enough, maybe it will come true.

(Of course all rumors are based in fact and I would have been a PSM this fall (I think) had I not jumped the gun and begged for summer!) BAD ANGI!

Okay I am done. I will expound more at later time. I just wanted to get this drive monologue out because I have been thinking about it for…well…since April 30th when I arrived.

Good God can you believe I have been here almost 2 weeks? Jeez time flies when you are working hard.

*Clark- sorry I missed your calls, I will call you, stop cussing me out!!!!!!
*Jamie and Seth – Hope life is good and stuff. Call me.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Angi I think that a little snow is good for all you kids from FL. But I am glad that you stopped. Snow in the mountians is nothing to fool with. Miss you!!- Jamie