Wednesday, April 20

Work and stuff

Sometimes doing something productive actually turns into a larger, better thing. It happened to me this week.

I had to do my "exit" interview with my boss. This is a meeting to talk about how my performance went over the course of the season. This year he suggested I email him due to time constraints.

.....so I did.....

to the tune of about 3 pages. *whew* He didn't see that coming. He called the next day and asked me to come in so as to further discuss my email.

An hour and a half later I came out feeling better informed and more useful than ever. I think he felt the same way.

(sorry to spare you the details, but too many people from work read this to expound on the bits and pieces that were actually said.)

The point is, I thought emailing would be impersonal. How silly of me to miss the magnitude of a captured audience!!!! Oh at first I just stuck to generalities...but as I typed the thoughts flowed faster and the ideas worked themselves into neat ordered paragraphs. I had to go back to the beginning and redo it all to add some new material. Forget general, I gave examples and I didn't pull any punches.

Perhaps I should have just emailed him saying "I have to come in," but I think having him actually read all the things I wanted to say made him realize that we had many subjects to cover and that we had not communicated as much as we had in earlier seasons.

The long and short of it is that we both learned some things. I, for one, witnessed an event that I had always heard of but never witnessed firsthand......the pen (or typed character, in this modern world) truly IS mightier than the sword.

Thank you, EDWARD GEORGE EARLE LYTTON BULWER-LYTTON for use of your quote.

Beneath the rule of men entirely great
The pen is mightier than the sword.
- Richelieu (act II, sc. 2)

(Did you know this guy also said "Time is Money," and "It was a dark and stormy night..."???)

.....verra verra cool.......









psssstt...Happy 4-2-0

No comments: