Wednesday, February 8

Playfest!

So I have been rehearsing a workshop for Playfest at Orlando Shakes this last week or so. It's pretty cool and if you are in Orlando, you really need to come to see something. You can get into most of the shows by purchasing a Playfest button for $5. Seriously! $5 to see something like 15 plays.

There are a few shows that cost an extra $8. They are the workshops. The one I am doing is called "Breaking the Shakespeare Code" and it is really cool. It's sort of a look into the acting process - - you get to watch an actress (The divine Sarah Hankins) work with her acting coach (The fantastic Darren Bridget). There is more to it, but I would hate to spoil it for you.

Playwright John Minigan had this show read last year at Playfest and has graduated to "workshop." I think the script is very tight and quite witty. Kristin Clippard directs with flair and uses a "now try it like this" attitude to get the actors going in different directions. I couldn't be happier. We had our tech rehearsal today and got all the way through with hardly any problems. (HOW OFTEN DO YOU HEAR THAT FROM A STAGE MANAGER????????? - - hardly ever!!!)

Anyway, really - - come see these shows. Oh, oh, if you are not in Orlando you can watch the web cam plays. That's my Sarah in "Removing the Ring" and "Study Abroad." They are good. Some are funny, some aren't. Check it out, they are all pretty short.

What else? Oh, so in addition to being SM for "Codes" I am also the venue technician for our black box theatre (Studio B). This is sort of like a throw back to my college days where the budget demanded that the SM run the boards as well. I am the lightboard operator and the CD player operator for all the readings being done in Studio B. It's sort of cool because I learned how to use a light board that is a two scene preset with no computer in it at all. Crazy, wacky, scary but fun!

Right now I am waiting for my portion of the tech rehearsal for "The Stone Face" to start. I have another hour and a half. The bummer thing about having so many shows is that I have to wait a while between rehearsals. My "Codes" rehearsal got over at 5p and I was done with the report, etc. by 6p. BUT I have another rehearsal at 9:30p so I'm just waiting around. I did go to dinner, but I hate to drive all the way home in rush hour just to turn around and come back 2 hours later. Oh well.

Now I leave you with a TOTALLY funny video clip that reminds me that I am not the worst exerciser in the world!

glitter graphics

2 comments:

Melissa said...

you're right, that's TOTALLY funny...hehe

Judie said...

OMG that sh*t (video) was SOOOO funny!